History was repeated on Talyllyn Railway, the world’s first preserved railway, at Tywyn in Mid Wales earlier this month.
The scenic, heritage railway, which has been running for 155 years, celebrated the 70th anniversary of the formation of Talyllyn Railway Preservation Society (TRPS) without fanfare last month due to the Covid-19 lockdown.
There was also another 70th anniversary on November 9 when the final train prior to the railway being taken over by TRPS was marked with a special journey along the line using the same steam locomotive, Dolgoch.
The 1950 journey was organised for TRPS by John Wilkins, a Birmingham industrialist and one of Fairbourne Railway’s owners, to report on the condition of the line. The line was so poor that the train derailed near Brynglas and soldiers from the nearby Morfa Camp had to be enlisted to get it back to base.
Wilkins reported: “The track is in a very poor condition, sleepers are rotten and about 50% of the rails unusable. Talyllyn is a complete write off and Dolgoch (the steam locomotive) will need inspection before it can again have its boiler insured. This is not in good order, being 81 years old.”
The driver of Dolgoch in 1950 was Dai Jones. It was fitting that his son, David and grandson, Tom, were at the controls of Dolgoch for last week’s trip, which went much more smoothly.
The only passengers this time were Stuart Williams, the railway’s general manager and Chris Smith, engineering manager, who recorded one of their ‘Weekly Walkabout’ videos to mark the occasion. The video can be viewed on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrqCt5Ko_GE&feature=youtu.be .
“We had planned to make this a very special occasion with a lot more passengers but, due to the various Covid restrictions, it was a very quiet affair,” explained Stuart.
“The train was driven by David Jones, son of Dai who drove the 1950 train, with his son, Tom, as fireman. The Jones family has worked on the railway for five generations.”
In the autumn of 1950, the future of the railway hung in the balance. Sir Henry Haydn Jones bought the railway in 1911 to serve his quarry, which later closed in 1946.
Now in his 80s, Sir Haydn pledged to keep it running during his lifetime but, when he died in July 1950, the railway seemed likely to follow. His widow, Lady Haydn, continued the passenger service until the end of the summer season and the final train, with loco Dolgoch, one carriage and the brake van, ran on October 6.
TRPS was formed on October 11 at a meeting in Birmingham and Lady Haydn handed over the railway in February 1951. The first train of the preservation era ran on May 14, 1951.
The narrow gauge railway opened for goods traffic in 1865 and introduced passenger services soon afterwards. Passengers have been travelling on the seven mile line between the coastal town of Tywyn and Nant Gwernol every year since.
The line is operated primarily by volunteers from all walks of life, with a small paid staff. One of the early volunteers was late author, the Rev W. V. Awdry, who used the railway as inspiration for the creation of his famous character Thomas the Tank Engine.
The final train journey prior to Talyllyn Railway Preservation Society taking over the line is celebrated.
Talyllyn Railway’s engineering manager Chris Smith (left) interviews driver David Jones and his son Tom for a video of the train journey.
September 2021 August 2021 July 2021 June 2021 May 2021 April 2021 March 2021 February 2021 January 2021 December 2020 November 2020 October 2020 September 2020 August 2020 July 2020 June 2020 April 2020 March 2020 November 2019 September 2019 August 2019 July 2019 May 2019 April 2019 March 2019 February 2019 October 2018 September 2018 August 2018 July 2018 June 2018 May 2018 April 2018 March 2018 January 2018 November 2017 July 2017 June 2017 May 2017 April 2017